Friday, February 14, 2014

Chocolate Law

Unlike my fur-based brethren, as a virtual cat I can indulge in chocolate on Valentine's day (and every other day).  But, like my fellow fur-based felines, I am finicky and want to know that my chocolate is of the highest quality.  Like many, I prefer dark chocolate for both the flavor and health benefits.  Interestingly, there is no legal definition of "dark" chocolate (see chart and link below) .  For a great primer on chocolate, see You Say Cacao, I Say Cocoa on WebMD.

Here are the relevant legal guidelines for chocolate-loving lawyer's on Valentine's Day.

Product
Chocolate Liquor
Milk Solids
CFR section in Title 21
Milk Chocolate
≥ 10%
≥ 12%
163.130
Sweet Chocolate
≥ 15%
≥ 12%
163.123
Semisweet or Bittersweet Chocolate
≥ 35%
≥ 12%
163.123(a)(3)
White Chocolate
≥ 20% cacao fat
≥ 14%
163.124

Enjoy  and Happy Valentine's Day !!

Ernster, the Virtual Library Cat

No comments: